The FCC is about to vote to end net neutrality—breaking the fundamental principle of the open Internet. I’m supporting an effort to create an avalanche of calls to Congress to stop it.
Net neutrality affects everyone who uses the Internet. This is for all of us.
Please visit https://www.battleforthenet.com/breaktheinternet/ TODAY (December 12, 2017) to see the many ways you can support this effort on social media and by contacting Congress.
In addition to the many reasons that people need unfettered access to the Internet without megacorporations deciding which content to privilege, I can’t imagine the United States having anything resembling free and fair elections without net neutrality. The New York Times today:
“The Federal Communications Commission announced on Tuesday that it planned to dismantle landmark regulations that ensure equal access to the internet, clearing the way for companies to charge more and block access to some websites.”
It will be hard to stop this, but here is a list of 6 things we can still do (via a friend of mine who works at Free Press):
- Attend a protest at a Verizon store near you on Dec 7. http://verizonprotests.com/
- Don’t see a protest near you? Sign up to host. It’s easy and we’ll support you! http://verizonprotests.com/
- Sign up to volunteer with Team Internet, a grassroots group of connected Net Neutrality supporters. It takes 5 minutes to sign up for a special volunteer Text Team shift to message other NN supporters about the news and invite them to take action. Sign up bit.ly/joinTItext
- If you’re on the east coast, save the date for a big Net Neutrality rally in Washington, DC on Dec 14.
- Tell your friends! Send them to organizations like Free Press, Center for Media Justice, Demand Progress, Fight For The Future, and Color Of Change and they’ll get set up with everything they need to take action right now.
- Don’t have time for any of that but still want to help? Donate! Every dollar helps fight back, and every dollar you give to the Free Press Action Fund between now and Dec 31 will be matched. https://act.freepress.net/donate/internet_nn_wake_up/
Photo credit: FreePress