About a year after the abrupt departure of Gloria Feldt from the presidency of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, a replacement has been announced. And I think I like her! (Which is a surprise after working at PPFA for over 2 years and feeling eternally frustrated by the management decisions there.)
Incoming president Cecile Richards sounds like just what the doctor ordered:
- She is currently the president of America Votes, a massive coalition of progressive advocacy organizations – this will help in working with the 122 Planned Parenthood affiliates across the country.
- She’s been battling George Bush for years – so she’s ready to lead PPFA’s public policy and electoral efforts.
- She was a founder of Americans Coming Together (ACT was a big voter mobilization effort in 2004) – so she knows how to do grassroots organizing.
- She helped to fund and facilitate an innovative partnership between PPFA and NARAL – so she knows the organization, but has her eyes on the prize (the movement) and not petty power plays.
- And it doesn’t hurt that she’s the daughter of former Texas Governor Ann Richards, but really that seems like the least of her many qualifications.
I look forward to Cecile Richards shaking things up at “America’s oldest and most trusted provider of women’s health care services.” 😉