This post is brought to you by free public wifi in Chicago.
- I have been an ovo-lacto-vegetarian since 1986, only recently starting to eat occasional seafood. After contemplating animal rights for about a year, I decided to try being vegetarian at age 15 as a result of reading “Pig” by Roald Dahl.
- I met my husband in 2002 when we were both volunteering for the NC Independent Media Center (RIP). I checked him out online and at protests until I got the opportunity to ask him out in Hell after the Hi Mom Film Festival in 2003. We got married in 2006.
- I ran for Chapel Hill Town Council in 1999. I came first in two precincts, and received 2,346 votes. I still lost quite badly.
- Although I grew up as an only child, I now have four step-siblings, a niece, and three nephews!
- My three distinctly favorite bands in high school were The B-52’s, Devo, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Keep in mind I graduated in 1989, so this only applies to their pre-1990’s work.
I saw all three of my favorite bands (see above) perform live in the 80’s as well as: Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Cyndi Lauper, Crowded House, The Police (with The Fixx!), Sting, UB40, The Psychdelic Furs, The Violent Femmes, The Power Station, Squeeze (with the Bangles), The Dead Milkmen, Bobby McFerrin, INXS (with Public Image Limited!!), The Exploited, and probably others I can’t remember right now.
- I own every album (that I know of) by Lucinda Williams and by Arto Lindsay.
- I used to be a professional kite flyer for Kitty Hawk Kites in Nag’s Head, NC in the summers when I was a teenager. One year my job was to set up large stationary kites and windsocks, and then to fly stunt kites and impress tourists on Jockey’s Ridge for 40 hours a week.
- Until I was about 16, I planned on having a career as an actress. Then for about a year I was going to be a lawyer, before finally deciding to be an environmental activist. Then I started college.
Now, I get to pass this task on to eight others. Who shall I infect next…?